To book an appointment for a Blood Test please call:
- Barnet Hospital: 020 8216 4394
- Finchley Hospital: 020 8349 7460
- Edgware Hospital: 020 8732 6899
If you are having a fasting blood glucose test or fasting lipid test your doctor will ask you to fast before your test. This means that you must NOT eat or drink anything for 12 hours prior to the test. Small sips of water may be taken.
About Blood Tests
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm. and the usual place for a sample is the inside of the elbow or wrist, where the veins are relatively close to the surface. Blood samples from children are most commonly taken from the back of the hand. The child's hand will be anaesthetised (numbed) with a special cream before the sample is taken.
You can find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed on the NHS Choices website.